Sunday, July 10, 2011

Big Bend - not for the faint of heart!

I've decided that I need to switch it up sometimes, and write about things other than my food.  So, this post will be about today's epic hike.  Plus, I ate like crap today, so...yeah.

This morning I got together with two of my best buddies: Kim and Caroline, and we decided to try a hike we'd never done before: Big Bend.  Big Bend is located on Laguna Canyon Highway roughly halfway between the 73 and PCH.  We started the hike by taking a short detour...a warm up lap of sorts, which put us back at our cars in just 30 minutes.  By that time we had figured out that the trail started on the other side of the parking lot, so we headed that way.  Then we completed the Big Bend Loop.  It was almost vertical in places, and I found it quite difficult.  Caroline, our resident mountain goat, enjoyed it very much.  Here is a map of our travels.


And a graph showing our speed and elevation.  Notice that during the extreme elevation inclines, my speed sometimes stops dead.  A girl needs a break while climbing a mountain!


After the exhausting, sweaty hike, we jumped in the pool.  Here is a picture of Kim laying poolside, sipping iced tea and eating a nectarine.  That's how I entertain guests, paleo style.


And then I took a much needed nap.  The end :)

No comments:

Post a Comment